Nairn County 1
Buckie Thistle 2
Scottish Qualifying Cup (1st Round)

Nairn County
1 - 2
Buckie Thistle 

Scottish Qualifying Cup (1st Round)
Saturday, August 27th, 2005
Station Park
3:00 PM Kick-off

Martin MacDonald (71)
David Angus (pen.) (72)
Jamie Shewan (84)

Team Managers
Les Fridge

Starting Eleven
Jim Calder
Andrew Allan
Scott Nicholl
Willie Barron
Tony Low
John MacAskill
Brian Macleod
David MacRae
Martin Sanderson
Iain Brooks
Scott Kellacher
Kevin Main
Neil Murray
Paul Lamberton
David Angus
Neil Davidson
Kevin Small
Ryan Smith
Donnie Munro
Jamie Shewan
John Coutts
Mike Macdonald

Callum Donaldson
Martin MacDonald
Duncan Jones
Steve Sanderson
Johnny Seaton
Michael Grant
Ritchie Davidson
Greig Pirie
Mark Hamilton
Shane Clark

Martin MacDonald for Scott Kellacher (65)
Steve Sanderson for Tony Low (78)
Johnny Seaton for Scott Nicholl (87)
Ritchie Davidson for Ryan Smith (46)

John MacAskill (59)
Andrew Allan (74)
Martin Sanderson (90)
Donnie Munro (32)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Match Report

County went out of the Qualifying Cup at the first round stage for the fourth season running in spite of a much improved performance from last week's defeat at home to Brora.

To make matters worse for Nairn, they took the lead with only 19 minutes left for play but saw a Buckie penalty tucked away less than a minute later before the visitors snatched the winner six minutes from time.

Les Fridge made three changes to his side for this one with Martin MacDonald, Johnny Seaton and Duncan Jones all dropping down to the bench. Willie Barron and Scott Kellacher were promoted from the substitutes to start, Kellacher on from the beginning for the first time this season, while Scott Nicholl came in from the wilderness to play at right-back.

After being severely punished for poor defending last week, the home side almost gave the visitors a goal with only five minutes on the clock. John Coutts latched onto a tame backpass from Andrew Allan but was denied by Jim Calder who was alert enough to race from his line and thwart the danger at the expense of a corner.
20 minutes in and Kellacher warmed the palms of visiting keeper Kevin Main with a snap shot from 20-yards.

On the half hour mark, Buckie went close as Mike Macdonald wriggled his way through the home defence and saw a low shot from 15-yards trickle inches past the post.

A Kellacher free-kick three minutes later almost caught the visitors cold but Main was on his toes to scurry across his goal-line and hold the ex-Celt's swerving effort.
Ten minutes from the interval, Macdonald's cross in from the left was headed goalwards by Jamie Shewan but Calder did brilliantly to athletically tip the ball over the crossbar for a corner.

A high punt into the box from just inside the Nairn half a minute before the break seemed like food and drink to Andrew Allan in the air but he miscued when attempting to head the ball clear allowing Donnie Munro to nip in on goal. However, the towering midfielder saw his low shot across goal tipped wide courtesy of a full stretch save by Calder.

Munro was on the end of the Buckie build up four minutes into the second period as he unleashed a shot from 22-yards that flashed just past Calder's right hand post.
County began to dominate proceedings conjuring up several chances. Willie Barron showed his pace in the 53rd minute as he drove forward from within his own half leaving the visiting defence for dead before seeing his 15-yard effort palmed around the post for a corner by Main.

Buckie forward John Coutts managed to find the space to fire in a powerful shot from the edge of the box on the hour-mark but Calder did well to smother.

Less than a minute later, County went close twice within 60 seconds. Firstly, David MacRae got on the end of a Tony Low cross from the left but saw his shot blocked by Main. Then MacRae turned provider as he played in Kellacher but Buckie right-back Neil Murray managed to thrown himself in front of the Nairn striker's shot to make the block.

Iain Brooks rose above the Jags' defence to meet a Low cross from the left but his headed effort went just over the crossbar 20 minutes from time.

County opened the scoring in the 71st minute as Barron surged past Paul Lamberton down the right before brilliantly picking out sub Martin Macdonald with a cutback for the ex-Brora centre forward to smash home first time into the top left hand corner from 15-yards.

But the joy of the Cowshed was turn to despair as Nairn presented Buckie with a goal less than a minute later. A seemingly harmless ball into the box was handled by Scott Nicholl resulting in referee Northcroft awarding a penalty. David Angus stepped up to coolly slot the ball into Calder's bottom right hand corner.

Buckie then went on to grab a winner six minutes from time. Jamie Shewan rose up above Allan to meet a Macdonald cross from the left with a looping header that went back across Calder and nestled in the corner of the net to send the home fans home sick.

A bitterly disappointing way for Les Fridge's side to go out of the prestigious cup competition after dominating for large spells of the game and putting in a vastly improved performance from last week. The gaffer now has to ensure that the team keep their heads up ahead of next week's trip to face Inverurie Locos who lie tied on the same number of points as County in the current League standings.

Squad Statistics (as at August 27th, 2005)

2005-06 All Time
Jim Calder (GK)45 5 - 34 -
Andrew Allan - 5 - 11 -
Scott Nicholl21 2 - 18 -
Willie Barron24 3 - 9127
Tony Low22 5 - 5 -
John MacAskill - 3 - 29 -
Brian Macleod24 5 - 645
David MacRae20 513820
Martin Sanderson22 5 - 15 -
Iain Brooks26 5 - 10335
Scott Kellacher24 2 - 9549
Martin MacDonald (sub)22 5454
Steve Sanderson (sub)24 416525
Johnny Seaton (sub) - 5 - 694

League Table (as at August 27th, 2005)

No league table has been added for this season.