Nairn County 6
Fraserburgh 0
League (HFL)

Nairn County
6 - 0

League (HFL)
Saturday, February 25th, 2006
Station Park
3:00 PM Kick-off

Iain Brooks (1)
Martin MacDonald (5)
David MacRae (pen.) (22)
Martin MacDonald (31)
David MacRae (39)
David MacRae (50)

Team Managers
Les Fridge

Starting Eleven
John Campbell
Scott Nicholl
Martin MacDonald
Steven Edwards
Tony Low
Martin Sanderson
John MacAskill
Willie Barron
Wayne Mackintosh
David MacRae
Iain Brooks
Billy Gordon
Dean Elrick
Neil Main
Marc Dickson
Ryan Christie
Trevor Fleming
Kevin Norris
William West
Russell McBride
Graham Johnston
Mark Cowie

Jim Calder
Duncan Jones
Brian Macleod
Steve Sanderson
Johnny Seaton
Steven Main
Michael Stephen
Michael Thomson
James Geddes
Neil McLaren

Duncan Jones for Wayne Mackintosh (56)
Steve Sanderson for Iain Brooks (68)
Johnny Seaton for Willie Barron (77)
James Geddes for Kevin Norris (46)
Michael Thomson for Billy Gordon (60)
Neil McLaren for Graham Johnston (84)

Wayne Mackintosh (23)
Trevor Fleming (22)
Ryan Christie (44)

Red Cards
None. Trevor Fleming (30)
Match Officials

Cammy Mackay (Referee)

Match Report

A rampant Nairn County side recorded their biggest win of the season as they did a first half demolition job on Fraserburgh at Station Park before polishing off the win after the break. After playing well in the past few weeks but not getting the rewards, everything fell into place at the same time with devastating effects for the hosts.
There were two changes to the team that was agonisingly edged out by a late goal at Deveronvale last week as Tony Low and Scott Nicholl returned to the starting XI in favour of Steven Sanderson who found himself on the bench and the injured Brian Macleod. Scott Kellacher missed out adue to work commitments to have his place among the substitutes taken by the returning Duncan Jones.

County couldn't have hoped to make a better start to the proceedings as Iain Brooks blasted the home side in front after less than a minute of play. They built on this lead by adding a second through Martin MacDonald only three minutes later, his first goal since October before making it three from the penalty spot. Things went from bad to worse for the visitors on the half-hour mark as Trevor Fleming was sent off a second yellow card before Nairn added a fourth as MacDonald slammed home from the resulting free-kick. It was five before half-time thanks to a David MacRae thunderbolt and the former Inverness CT midfielder completed his hat-trick five minutes after the restart to round off the scoring.

It took Nairn only 39 seconds to edge in front as they came flying out of the traps. A Wayne Mackintosh corner from the left was flicked on by Martin MacDonald to the back post for the on-rushing Iain Brooks to smash home with a first time volley leaving Broch goalkeeper Billy Gordon helpless.

County doubled their advantage after only four minutes after taking advantage of the new interpretation of the offside rule. David MacRae flighted a great ball over the top of the Fraserburgh defence to the onside Willie Barron, while County centre-forward MacDonald stood in an offside position. Barron raced away from the static Broch defence before squaring the ball past Gordon for MacDonald to slide into the net.

The home side made it three goals in only 22 minutes as they furthered their advantage. Again Barron was the creator, as he was sent free down the right, this time by a sublime ball forward by John MacAskill. The County wideman attempted to pick out MacDonald with a low cross but the former Brora forward was scythed down by Trevor Fleming. Referee Cammy Mackay pointed to the spot and after Fleming had been booked for his troubles, MacRae stepped up to calmly slot the ball past Gordon for his 13th goal of the season.

The visitors' plight was made even worse on the half-hour mark as they were reduced to ten-men. Tony Low was cynically taken out by Fleming on the left touchline giving referee Mackay no choice but to show the Broch man his second yellow card of the day before brandishing the red.

From the resulting free-kick, County all but killed off the match as a contest as they added a fourth goal. Low's in-swinging free-kick landed at the feet of MacDonald and he blasted the ball into the roof of the net to score his second of the day.

Five minutes later, County almost made it five as Barron picked out Low with a deep cross from the right but the ex-Clach's man shot from the angle was blocked by the legs of Gordon.

Low was at the heart of things again for Nairn in the 39th minute as he cut inside Dean Elrick on the left and fired in a low shot from the edge of the box that was palmed around the post by Gordon.

From the resulting corner though, County added a fifth as MacRae scored the pick of the bunch. Mackintosh's flag kick from the left was headed clear by the Fraserburgh defence but only as far as MacRae, who was lurking on the edge of the box and positioned perfectly to lash home a thunderbolt of a first time volley that almost took the net away from the goal frame.

Nairn began the second half in the same goalscoring vein they displayed throughout the first as five minutes after the restart the ball was in the Broch net again. Martin Sanderson stayed forward after a County corner was cleared a collected a Steven Edwards ball into the right channel. The former Clach centre-back then delivered an inch-perfect ball to the back post for MacRae to cushion into the net to complete his second hat-trick against Fraserburgh in as many years.

By this stage, Nairn were content with retaining possession against their battered visitors but they did create several chances to further increase their advantage. In the 71st minute, Tony Low collected the ball wide on the left in his own half from a rare Broch attack before surging forward. He skipped past Elrick with ease before sliding the ball under substitute keeper Michael Thomson but Ryan Christie managed to get back and hack the ball clear from the goal-line.

From the resulting corner, County again went close to adding a seventh. Sub Duncan Jones whipped in the ball that was cleared but only to Scott Nicholl who lashed a shot goalwards from 25-yards only to see it tipped over the crossbar by Thomson.

An extremely convincing win for Nairn as they came into form at the right time ahead of next week's important cup visit to Rothes and it could have been more with the passed up chances in the second half. Boss Les Fridge will be eager for his side to re-create a similar performance in the match at MacKessack Park as they look to take their North of Scotland Cup form in the Highland League Cup.

Squad Statistics (as at February 25th, 2006)

2005-06 All Time
John Campbell (GK)26 10 - 10 -
Scott Nicholl22 121281
Martin MacDonald23 277277
Steven Edwards24 11 - 712
Willie Barron25 28811635
Martin Sanderson23 303403
Wayne Mackintosh18 10 - 17 -
Tony Low22 264264
David MacRae - 31156434
John MacAskill - 261521
Iain Brooks27 29912744
Steve Sanderson (sub)24 2358429
Duncan Jones (sub)21 235235
Johnny Seaton (sub) - 26 - 904

League Table (as at February 25th, 2006)

No league table has been added for this season.