Nairn County 3
Fort William 1
League (HFL)

Nairn County
3 - 1
Fort William 

League (HFL)
Saturday, December 18th, 2004
Station Park
3:00 PM Kick-off

Willie Barron (3)
Willie Barron (74)
Willie Barron (90)
Jamie Gannon (36)

Team Managers
Les Fridge

Starting Eleven
Jim Calder
Scott Nicholl
Peter Lynch
John MacAskill
Willie Barron
Brian Macleod
Colin MacLeod
Garry Ewing
David MacRae
Scott Kellacher
Johnny Seaton
John Campbell
Graeme Bamber
Andy Martin
Mo MacMillan
Innes Simpson
Sam McLaughlan
Graeme Stewart
Steven Edwards
John Macdonald
Ryan Haggerty
Jamie Gannon

Les Fridge
Steven Edwards
Gareth Smith
Gavin Chisholm
Gary Farquhar
Mark Macdonald
Stuart Tite
Mark Sanderson
Michael Mackenzie
Mark Dougall

Steven Edwards for Scott Nicholl (64)
Gavin Chisholm for Peter Lynch (89)
Mark Sanderson for John Macdonald (38)
Mark Dougall for Graeme Stewart (58)
Michael Mackenzie for Graeme Bamber (84)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Match Report

Nairn County collected their first three points in two months courtesy of a home 3-1 success over Fort William as Willie Barron found the back of the net on three occasions.

Gaffer Les Fridge made a solitary change from the side that gained a hardfought point at Forres a fornight ago as Peter Lynch gained a rare start in place of the suspended Iain Brooks. This meant that Johnny Seaton found himself playing in attack as ex-Ross County man Lynch took his place on the right of midfield.

County got off to the best possible start as they broke the deadlock after on three minutes. Willie Barron collected the ball on the left wing at the halfway line before surging forward and clipping it over advancing Fort goalkeeper John Campbell and into the net.

The visitors were looking to get back on level terms as Ryan Haggerty fired in a low shot from 20-yards that Jim Calder did well to hold.

Barely 60 seconds later and John Macdonald was put through on goal but his low shot went just past Calder's right hand post.

After a quarter of a hour, a free-kick in from the right was knocked down by Andy Martin to the feet of Graeme Bamber but the Fort full-back fired his shot straight at the relieved Jim Calder.

Three minutes later, Nairn's Johnny Seaton beat visiting goalkeeper Campbell to a throughball some 30-yards from goal before rounding the ex-Hibs shotstopper but he could only fire his shot into the side-netting.

Seaton then whipped in a cross from the left that Willie Barron managed to get his head on the end of only to see his effort well saved by the diving Campbell in the 23rd minute.

But the visitors did mange to get themselves level nine minutes before the break as a John Macdonald cross in from the right was diverted past Calder and into the corner of the net by the slightest of ouches from Jamie Gannon.

Nairn came out for the second half eager to regain their advantage and came close to doing so when Johnny Seaton turned on a sixpence before firing in a low shot from the edge of the box that went just wide of the post.

Willie Barron then drove forward with purpose five minutes after the restart but his shot from a tight angle was tipped over the bar.

The ball then sat up kindly for David MacRae to attempt a volley in 53 minutes but the on-loan midfielder fired his effort from 18-yards past the post.

MacRae then drove down the left wing before cutting in along the byeline and unleashing a sho from a tight angle that deflected over the crossbar for a corner in the 55th minute.

From the resulting flag kick, Colin Macleod saw the ball break to his feet but he could stab his shot in the welcoming arms of visiting keeper John Campbell.

County thought that they'd re-established their lead as Johnny Seaton headed home a MacRae cross but the home side's celebrations were cut short by the linesman's flag two minutes short of the hour mark.

Seaton was again left to curse his luck as he side footed an effort past the post from seven yards barely a minute later.

But County eventually regained their lead after 74 minutes as David MacRae made a purposeful run forward before playing a throughball to the path of Scott Kellacher.
Nairn's top scorer then squared the ball for the onrushing Willie Barron to lunge into the unguarded net from 15-yards for double his tally for the day.

But two minutes later the the Fort threatened this lead as Gannon fired a low shot straight at Calder leaving the County shotstopper with an easy save.

Nairn really should have put daylight between the sides in the 82nd minute as the ball was teed up perfectly for David MacRae but he swiped at thin air when attempting a shot. The ball then broke for Johnny Seaton who blazed his shot over the crossbar.
The visitors though were only inches away from snatching a point with one minute left on the clock. Nairn sub Steven Edwards got caught in two minds when faced with a high ball forward into the box allowing Jamie Gannon to nip in but the Fort goalscorer's shot flashed just over the crossbar.

Nairn rounded off the win though as Willie Barron completed his hat-trick with the last touch of the game. Again MacRae was involved as he played the Nairn forward through on goal he made no mistake as he smashed the ball into the net from a tight angle for his fourth goal in two games.

A welcome three points for County as they grind out the victory and now look forward to next Monday's trip to Wick Academy where they will be looking to make it seven points out of a possible nine from their last three fixtures.

Squad Statistics (as at December 18th, 2004)

2004-05 All Time
Jim Calder (GK)44 15 - 15 -
Peter Lynch - 10 - 10 -
Scott Nicholl21 5 - 5 -
Willie Barron24 1577626
Colin MacLeod30 16 - 72 -
David MacRae - 199199
John MacAskill - 15 - 15 -
Garry Ewing - 16 - 832
Brian Macleod23 16 - 485
Scott Kellacher24 18148246
Johnny Seaton - 193594
Steven Edwards (sub)23 10 - 512
Gavin Chisholm (sub)19 3 - 3 -

League Table (as at December 18th, 2004)

No league table has been added for this season.