Nairn County 0
Inverurie Locos 4
League (HFL)

Nairn County
0 - 4
Inverurie Locos 

League (HFL)
Saturday, March 13th, 2004
Station Park
3:00 PM Kick-off

None. John Young (pen.) (4)
Craig Ross (45)
John Young (60)
Kenny Coull (84)

Team Managers
Martin Bell

Starting Eleven
Michael Rae
Gareth Smith
Steven Edwards
Garry Ewing
Steve Sanderson
Gary Farquhar
Neal Sinclair
Brian Macleod
Willie Barron
Colin MacLeod
Scott Kellacher
Ian Thain
John Young
Scott Buchan
Tommy Wilson
Mark Simpson
Steven Park
Richie Singer
Richie Davidson
Kenny Coull
Craig Ross
Stuart McKay

Michael A Rae
Mark Holmes
Johnny Seaton
Robbie Duncanson
Marc MacDonald
Kevin Allan
Kevin Fraser
Neil Reid
Eddie Copland
Andy Low

Johnny Seaton for Garry Ewing (56)
Marc MacDonald for Steve Sanderson (59)
Mark Holmes for Brian Macleod (75)
Andy Low for Richie Singer (67)
Neil Reid for Craig Ross (73)
Eddie Copland for Richie Davidson (79)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Match Report

Nairn fall to their third home defeat in a row in Martin Bell's first match in charge at Station Park in a match where the scoreline somewhat flattered the visitors. Despite all of County's effort and throughout the 90 minutes they were overpowered by an Inverurie side who built upon their solid defensive base.

The hosts made two changes from the side that were defeated in midweek at Forres as Michael Rae came back in between the sticks in favour of his namesake Michael A. Rae while Johnny Seaton dropped down to the bench as Colin Macleod was handed his first start since returning from injury. Youth Team striker Marc Macdonald was given a place on the bench as depleated County struggled to get sixteen fit players available.

The visitors opened the scoring after only four minutes from the penalty spot. Stuart McKay cut in from the left before dancing along the by-line and being brought down by Nairn's Colin Macleod. John Young stepped up to slot home from 12 yards with a well placed spot-kick.

Nairn then looked to get back in the fixture and came close when Willie Barron dipped an effort from the edge of the box just over the crossbar on 11 minutes.

A scramble in the Nairn box almost led to Inverurie doubling their lead three minutes later. The ball broke to Kenny Coull who brought out the best in Michael Rae as the Nairn keeper clawed his goal-bound header off of the goal-line.

Nairn had a decent shout for a penalty of their own when Gary Farquhar's out-swinging free kick from the right was blocked just as Steve Sanderson was about the fire it goalwards but the referee saw nothing wrong with the intervention.

Richie Singer then glanced a header past the post after 21 minutes as the opportunities were evenly distributed between the two sides.

Scott Kellacher then played a great defence splitting pass into Steve Sanderson but the striker's shot was well saved by Inverurie shotstopper Ian Thain.

A shot from Scott Buchan flashed just past Rae's right hand post from 25 yards after 37 minutes.

Nairn were then dealt a heavy blow as Inverurie doubled their advantage just as it looked as if the visitors would go in only one goal to the good at the break. Tommy Wilson made a surging run through the Nairn defence before reaching the by-line and cutting the ball back for Craig Ross who had the simplest of tasks of tapping the ball into the net.

The Locos almost added a third goal when Kenny Coull tried his luck from a tight angle five minutes after the restart but Rae was equal to his effort as he palmed it round the post.

But ten minutes later and the visitors did add a third with a goal that could go down as an own goal. A cross from the right by Richie Singer was flicked over the head of Michael Rae by Nairn's own Gareth Smith at the front post but it seemed that John Young got the final touch on the ball at the back post to help it over the line for his second goal of the day, preventing Smith from scoring his third own goal in a year.

Locos sub Andy Low went close to adding a fourth minutes after coming on as he screwed a low shot goalwards that was smothered by Rae after 70 minutes.

Fellow substitute Neil Reid passed up a glorious opportunity to get his name on the scoresheet with 15 minutes left when he was given acres of space on at the back psot to meet a cross from the left but he lost his composure as his side-foot volley went past the post.

Nairn youngster Marc Macdonald was presented with a great chance to grab his first ever goal for the top team when he was sent through on goal after a great passing build-up, reminiscent of the County of last season, but he was denied by veteran custodian Ian Thain, who used all of his expericence to thwart the youngster, whose over 20 years his junior.

The visitors then hammered the final nail into the Nairn coffin when they added a fourth with six minutes left for play. Kenny Coull was given space to turn on the edge of the box after receiving a low pass before firing a left footed shot under Michael Rae.

Another day to forget for County and the Station Park faithful who now must have one-eye on the cup game at Rothes in a fortnight's time. Before that though, they must take on Caley at Station Park on Wednesday night as well as travelling to Keith next Saturday.

Squad Statistics (as at March 13th, 2004)

2003-04 All Time
Michael Rae (GK) - 21 - 49 -
Gareth Smith25 19 - 53 -
Steven Edwards23 181412
Colin MacLeod29 19 - 49 -
Gary Farquhar - 2056628
Willie Barron23 2045518
Steve Sanderson22 1714520
Brian Macleod22 232253
Garry Ewing - 21 - 642
Neal Sinclair - 241623
Scott Kellacher23 1975730
Mark Holmes (sub)28 1723910
Marc MacDonald (sub)17 1 - 1 -
Johnny Seaton (sub) - 22 - 34 -

League Table (as at March 13th, 2004)

No league table has been added for this season.