Nairn County 5
Cove Rangers 1
League (HFL)

Nairn County
5 - 1
Cove Rangers 

League (HFL)
Saturday, August 23rd, 2003
Station Park
3:00 PM Kick-off

Iain Brooks (27)
Iain Brooks (73)
Robbie Duncanson (74)
Robbie Duncanson (75)
Steve Sanderson (81)
Michael Beattie (48)

Team Managers
Ronnie Sharp

Starting Eleven
Michael A Rae
Mark Holmes
Mo MacMillan
Garry Ewing
Paul McDonald
Gary Farquhar
Brian Macleod
Neal Sinclair
Colin MacLeod
Johnny Seaton
Iain Brooks
Steven van der Dehl
Neil Cruickshank
Kevin Allan
David McGinley
Niall Mullen
Kevin Rennie
Chris Pilichos
Mark Smith
Davide Valla
Mike Beattie
John Brown

Glenn Main
Steve Sanderson
Andrea Coletto
Robbie Duncanson
Ray Charles
Andy McCraw
Darren Paul
Nicky Gordon
David Greig

Robbie Duncanson for Brian Macleod (69)
Steve Sanderson for Mark Holmes (77)
Nicky Gordon for John Brown (73)
David Greig for Chris Pilichos (77)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Match Report

A brilliant result for Nairn in what started as a close encounter at Station Park today but ended with the home side running riot. The number of injuries boss Ronnie Sharp had to deal with makes this win all the greater against a side that had no problems scoring double figures against County not so long ago.

Sharp was without a whole host of regulars with Scott Kellacher, Michael Rae, David Macdonald and Gareth Smith all on the injury list while Steven Edwards was unavailable due to work commitments. This meant that Mo MacMillan came in for his first start of the season in place of Edwards in midfield while Brian Macleod was re-instated to the starting line-up up front in place of Kellacher and Michael A. Rae replaced his namesake between the sticks.

Nairn conjoured up the first chance of the match on five minutes and should've taken the lead. Brian Macleod was released thorugh on goal but opted to go for power instead of accuracy and fired his shot straight at visiting keeper Van Der Dehl.

Four minutes later and Nairn passed up another good chance, this time it was the returning Mo MacMillan who was the sinner. A Seaton cross from the right was met by the head of Nairn's number two but he powered his effort straight at Van Der Dehl who knew little or nothing about the save.

County did take the lead thought three minutes before the half hour mark. Farquhar whipped in a ball from the right wing position and a full stretch Ian Brooks did enough to lunge the ball over the line at the back post.

Cove then came close to making it all square again with their first real chance of the match on 37 minutes. A cross from the right was met by the head of Beattie but somehow Rae reacted quickly enough to thwart his effort from point blank range.

Only three minutes after the restart and Cove had pulled level. Davide Valla went down right on the edge of the area and the referee blew for a foul by Nairn's Garry Ewing. Michael Beattie stepped up and expertly curled the ball round the wall into the keepers top left hand corner leaving Rae with no chance.

But Nairn should've regained their lead only two minutes after losing it when Holmes was sent through on goal but instead of placing his shot across the keeper he lost his composure and fired it past the near post.

Five minutes later on and Nairn and missed another chance. Brian Macleod opted to take on a cross from the right first time but all he could do was fire it straight at Van Der Dehl.

Holmes passed up another opportunity on 57 minutes when he attempted a turning volley from the edge of the box but his effort went straight at Van Der Dehl making it easy for the visiting keeper to make the stop.

It looked like Nairn may rue these missed opportunities as the Cove came back into the game despite County's total domination of the match in the previous few minutes but they could only create half chances.

Then on 73 minutes the floodgates well and truly opened. County won a free kick outside the box on the left hand side and when Gary Farquhar swung it into the box, Ian Brooks was on hand to volley Nairn back in front at the back post.

Straight from the restart and Nairn were on the attack again. Young sub Robbie Duncanson was given space on the edge of the box and he unleashed a stunning shot that fired into Van Der Dehl's top right hand corner leaving him with no chance whatsoever to double the home side's advantage.

Duncanson then had his brace merely 120 seconds later on 75 minutes. He was again given space 20 yards out, this time on the right edge of the penalty box and again he went for glory but never caught his shot correctly. It looked like it would sail into the keeper's arms but it took a deflection en route to goal that the keeper couldn't react to quick enough as the ball sneaked under him into his bottom left hand corner.

The scoring was complete on 81 minutes when another sub, Steve Sanderson, added his name to the scoresheet. Farquhar played in a cross from the right that the keeper flapped straight into the chest of Sanderson. It was then bound goalward and there was nothing the keeper could do as he was still on the deck after his attempted punching clearence.

Match report written by Graeme Macleod

Squad Statistics (as at August 23rd, 2003)

2003-04 All Time
Michael A Rae (GK) - 2 - 2 -
Mo MacMillan - 1 - 20 -
Mark Holmes28 31259
Paul McDonald - 3 - 3 -
Brian Macleod22 3 - 51
Garry Ewing - 2 - 452
Colin MacLeod29 3 - 33 -
Gary Farquhar - 314924
Neal Sinclair - 3 - 412
Johnny Seaton - 3 - 15 -
Iain Brooks24 334720
Steve Sanderson (sub)22 213020
Robbie Duncanson (sub)18 2242

League Table (as at August 23rd, 2003)

No league table has been added for this season.