Nairn County 3
Buckie Thistle 5
League (HFL)

Nairn County
3 - 5
Buckie Thistle 

League (HFL)
Saturday, September 13th, 2003
Station Park
3:00 PM Kick-off

Gary Farquhar (3)
Iain Brooks (19)
Gary Farquhar (pen.) (70)
Colin Milne (pen.) (7)
David Angus (14)
Colin Milne (pen.) (45)
John Coutts (53)
Colin Milne (64)

Team Managers
Ronnie Sharp

Starting Eleven
Michael Rae
Mo MacMillan
Dave Macdonald
Neal Sinclair
Colin MacLeod
Garry Ewing
Paul McDonald
Gary Farquhar
Steve Sanderson
Brian Macleod
Iain Brooks
Kevin Main
Mark Slater
Mike Macdonald
Paul Catto
David Angus
Greig Pirie
Jamie Shewan
Scott Taylor
Colin Milne
Ritchie Taylor
John Coutts

Michael A Rae
Gareth Smith
Willie Barron
Andrea Coletto
Robbie Duncanson
Adam Wilson
Franny More
Donnie Munro
Paul Lamberton
Ryan Smith

Willie Barron for Brian Macleod (54)
Gareth Smith for Colin MacLeod (70)
Robbie Duncanson for Steve Sanderson (73)
Ryan Smith for Ritchie Taylor (60)
Donnie Munro for Greig Pirie (73)
Paul Lamberton for Mike Macdonald (75)

None. Jamie Shewan

Red Cards
Dave Macdonald
Jamie Shewan (87)
Match Officials

Match Report

Despite making wholesale changes to his starting XI, Ronnie Sharp couldn't prevent his side from crashing to a 5-3 defeat at home to Buckie. Michael Rae, Mo MacMillan, Steve Sanderson and Brian Macleod were re-introduced to the starting line-up while Willie Barron and Gareth Smith were on the bench. Robbie Duncanson and Michael A. Rae found themselves demoted to the substitutes while Mark Holmes and Johnny Seaton missed out through injury.

County never took any time to get going as they raced into a third minute lead. Gary Farquhar stepped up to take a free kick 25 yards from goal and proceeded to curl the ball round the wall and into visiting keeper Main's top left hand corner leaving him with no chance. This was another example of what Farquhar is capable of when he is at his best and the home defence could only watch this moment of pure magic.

But this advantage only lasting four minutes when Paul McDonald conceded a penalty after seven minutes. Colin Milne stepped up and stroked the ball past Rae into his bottom right hand corner.

Seven minutes later and the Jags claimed the lead for the first time in the encounter thanks to some slack Nairn defending. John Coutts sent in a corner from the left that was met by the head of David Angus and despite the efforts of Rae the ball trickled over the line and into the net.

Brooks got Nairn back on level terms after 19 minutes though. He did well to get in front of his marker in the box when Garry Ewing sent over a ball from the left he controlled it well before prodding the ball through Main's legs and over the line for his fourth League goal of the campaign.

Just when it looked as if it would be honours even at the interval, Buckie won their second penalty of the match. Colin Milne was sent tumbling by Gary Farquhar and Milne himself stepped up to slot home his second spot-kick of the day.

Eight minutes into the second 45 and there was daylight between the two sides for the first time in the match when Nairn failed to clear their lines allowing the ball to be teed up for Coutts to crash a volley into the net to the despair of Michael Rae.

Then the moment the home support had all been waiting for. The return of the prodigical son Willie Barron after a spell living in Sheffield. He received a standing ovation from the Station Park fans as he graced the hallowed turf for the first time since April, ironically that match was against Buckie too. He replaced Brian Macleod as Ronnie Sharp attempted to freshed things up to get back in the game.

Brooks came close to clawing Nairn back into the encounter but his tundering header from a Farquhar free kick was saved well by Main.

Milne then made it five for Buckie after 64 minutes. Sloppy Nairn defending presented him with the ball two yards from goal leaving him with the simplest of tasks of tapping home.

County were then reduced to 10 men when skipper Dave Macdonald, playing his first home match of the season, was given a second yellow card for a crunching tackle on Ryan Smith.

County did grab one goal back when Steve Sanderson was hauled over in the penalty box with 20 minutes left to go. The referee rightly awarded Nairn a penalty, after denying them a blantant spotkick only minutes previously when Main took out Brooks, and Gary Farquhar made no mistake when he stepped up to score his second of the day.

Buckie themselves were reduced to 10 men themselves with only a few minutes left to go when Jamie Shewan was given his marching orders for collecting his second booking.

This result means that next week's away derby with Forres Mechanics is a must win for Nairn if they are to finally get their faltering title challenge back on track. With the Station Park injury list ever shortening, hopefully County have what it takes to regain their form.

Squad Statistics (as at September 13th, 2003)

2003-04 All Time
Michael Rae (GK) - 3 - 31 -
Mo MacMillan - 3 - 22 -
Dave Macdonald - 2 - 42 -
Steve Sanderson22 513320
Neal Sinclair - 61443
Paul McDonald - 6 - 6 -
Brian Macleod22 6 - 81
Garry Ewing - 5 - 482
Colin MacLeod29 6 - 36 -
Gary Farquhar - 635226
Iain Brooks24 655022
Gareth Smith (sub)24 1 - 35 -
Willie Barron (sub)22 1 - 3614
Robbie Duncanson (sub)19 5272

League Table (as at September 13th, 2003)

No league table has been added for this season.