Nairn County 2
Lossiemouth 2
League (HFL)

Nairn County
2 - 2

League (HFL)
Saturday, November 29th, 2003
Station Park
3:00 PM Kick-off

Steven Edwards (18)
Mark Holmes (33)
Darren Shallicker (10)
Gareth Smith (o.g.)

Team Managers
Ronnie Sharp

Starting Eleven
Michael Rae
Gareth Smith
Dave Macdonald
Steven Edwards
Willie Barron
Colin MacLeod
Garry Ewing
Gary Farquhar
Neal Sinclair
Johnny Seaton
Scott Kellacher
Steve Dunn
Shaun Noble
Gary Youngston
Peter MacGuire
Ross McHardy
Steven Sim
Martin MacMullan
Steven Ellis
Daniel Forde
Darren Shallicker
David Hendry

Michael A Rae
Mark Holmes
Mo MacMillan
Brian Macleod
Steve Sanderson
Mark Sim
Steven Dixon
Daniel Thompson
Robert Watson
Steven MacMullan

Mark Holmes for Gary Farquhar (10)
Steve Sanderson for Mark Holmes (68)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Match Report

This was three points that Nairn should've sewn up by half time but some sloppy defending before the interval followed by poor attacking play after it ensured that County would only be taking a third of that total away from this match.

Scott Kellacher had a penalty claim turned down only ten minutes into the match when, after having the ball laid off to him by Garry Ewing, he was sent tumbling in the penalty area.

Lossiemouth capitalized on this let off to as full an extent as possible by going straight up the park and opening the scoring. A cross from the left evaded all of the Nairn defenders and found its way across the edge of the box to the unmarked Darren Shalliker for him to place into Michael Rae's bottom right hand corner.

Gary Farquhar then limped off injured to be replaced by Mark Holmes before County restarted the match.

Eight minutes after falling behind, Nairn hauled themselves back on level terms with the visitors. Steven Edwards fired a free kick from 20 yards out straight through the middle of the Lossiemouth defensive wall and into the back of the net leaving visiting keeper Dunn with no chance.

Willie Barron then passed up two free headers in two minutes as County began to turn the screw on the Coasters.

The referee had to calm things down by dishing out some bookings as the match went through a niggling period with some heavy challenges before returning to the high pace encounter it had previously been.

Three minutes after the half hour mark and Nairn took the lead for the first time in the match. Scott Kellacher surged down the left channel before cutting in along the byline and playing the ball to Mark Holmes who, at the front post, took one touch to open up his body and a second touch to slam the ball right-footed past Stevie Dunn for his second goal of the season.

A minute after his side took the lead, Willie Barron made a similar run down the left to that of Kellacher only a 60 seconds previously, the only difference being that he cut the ball all the way back to Johnny Seaton the edge of the box but he fired over the crossbar.

But County threw away this lead in the most unfortunate of circumstances. A corner from the right meant for the head of Darren Shalliker was bulleted into his own net by Gareth Smith, under heavy pressure from the RAF man.

Nairn nearly re-claimed their adavantage straight from the restart. Kellacher rolled the ball to the on running Edwards for him to launch it from the half way line but the back-peddling Dunn did just enough to reach it and turn it over the bar to deny Edwards what would've been a strong candidate for goal of the season.

Edwards nearly added his second of the match five minutes from the interval with another long range effort. The powerhouse midfielder, clearly in the mood, unleashed a shot from all of 40 yards that sailed only just wide of Dunn's left hand post.

County almost created a carbon copy of their opening goal against today's visitors at grant Park a fortnight ago a minute into the second half. This time the provider was Seaton, with his back to goal, as he laid the ball to Scott Kellacher who danced past one defender along the box but saw his shot saved.
The Coasters then had a brilliant chance to take the lead. Darren Shalliker was sent through one-on-one with Michael Rae but the Nairn shot stopper stood his ground to deny the big target man his second of the day.

Lossiemouth, clearly in ascendancy, carved another scoring opportunity only three minutes later. Daniel Forde turned well in the box but he pulled his shot across goal just past Michael Rae's right hand post.

Substitute Steve Sanderson had the final chance of a lacklustre half for Nairn. The wee striker, a second half sub for Mark Holmes bizzarely, saw his shot from 15 yards deflected just past Dunn's left hand post for a corner.

Nairn will be disappointed to take only a point from a home match against a side that they turned over only a fortnight ago on their own patch. Ronnie Sharp will have to address the defensive frailties in a bid to eradicate them before the trip to defending champions Deveronvale for County's next fixture in a fortnights time.

Squad Statistics (as at November 29th, 2003)

2003-04 All Time
Michael Rae (GK) - 12 - 40 -
Gareth Smith24 11 - 45 -
Steven Edwards22 101332
Dave Macdonald - 111511
Neal Sinclair - 141523
Colin MacLeod29 16 - 46 -
Gary Farquhar - 1345927
Willie Barron22 1134617
Garry Ewing - 13 - 562
Scott Kellacher22 1064829
Johnny Seaton - 14 - 26 -
Mark Holmes (sub)28 1123310
Steve Sanderson (sub)22 813620

League Table (as at November 29th, 2003)

No league table has been added for this season.