Nairn County 3
Rothes 0
League (HFL)

Nairn County
3 - 0

League (HFL)
Saturday, October 25th, 2003
Station Park
3:00 PM Kick-off

Willie Barron (18)
Dave Macdonald (30)
Robbie Duncanson (75)

Team Managers
Ronnie Sharp

Starting Eleven
Michael Rae
Mo MacMillan
Steven Edwards
Gareth Smith
Dave Macdonald
Garry Ewing
Willie Barron
Colin MacLeod
Johnny Seaton
Scott Kellacher
Iain Brooks
Darren Strong
Kevin Shortreed
Ian Macrae
Neil Esson
Scott Forbes
Colin Smith
Mark Hamilton
Martin Bain
Michael Ord
Scott Cameron
Steven Sim

Michael A Rae
Brian Macleod
Paul McDonald
Gary Farquhar
Robbie Duncanson
Stewart Cree
Muir Simpson
Graeme Bain
Mark Keith
Jamie Miller

Brian Macleod for Iain Brooks (41)
Robbie Duncanson for Scott Kellacher (51)
Gary Farquhar for Steven Edwards (73)
Jamie Miller for Colin Smith (46)
Mark Keith for Steven Sim (46)
Graeme Bain for Michael Ord (79)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Match Report

Nairn continued their return to prominence with a fine home victory at Station Park over the Speysiders. There was only one alteration to the side that collected three points down in Fort William last week as the returning Steven Edwards was back in the starting line-up instead of the suspended Mark Holmes.

County started the brighter of the two sides and creating their first chance of the match after 13 minutes. Scott Kellacher whipped in a corner from the left that Ian Brooks connected with aerially but his looping header sailed over the crossbar.
But five minutes later the home side managed to break the deadlock. Willie Barron made a run down the right wing before cutting in and squeezing his way goalwards along the by-line. He then fired an effort towards goal that bizarrely hit the visiting keeper, Darren Strong, and went into the net.

Then on the half hour mark it was two. Barron played the ball out to Johnny Seaton on the right from the centre circle and he then played it first time to Ian Brooks who was making a run through the middle. Brooks then continued this run into the area before squaring the ball to County skipper Dave Macdonald for him to tap home to complete a great passing build up and but the finishing touch on a fine sweeping move.

Nairn were then dealt a blow as Ian Brooks had to come off because of an injury he picked up while playing his part in the second goal to be replaced by Brian Macleod.
Kellacher had Nairn's next chance when he had a free header from a Seaton corner from the right but he put it past the post to the relief of the visitors.

Seven minutes into the second half and Rothes created their first chance of the match. Half time substitute Mark Keith latched onto a through ball in the area but Rae was alert enough to palm his angled shot round the post.

Duncanson then created a chance for himself by turning well on the edge of the box and firing in a shot that Strong did well to save.

Barely seconds later and Rothes were nearly gifted a lifeline by Nairn's Colin Macleod. The County defender played a short passback to Michael Rae that Michael Ord nicked in to latch onto but he only succeeded in shooting wide of Rae's left-hand post to the relief of the Nairn centre back.

But any hope of a fightback by the visitors was all but ended on the hour mark when they were reduced to 10 men. Kevin Shortreed received his second yellow card of the match after a late tackle on County's Robbie Duncanson.

Having the man advantage prompted Nairn gaffer Ronnie Sharp to encourage his side to push forward in search of the killer third goal and this saw Gareth Smith venture up field at set pieces.

The next chance that came County's way fell to Brian Macleod in the 66th minute. He had enough pace to show Rothes' Neil Esson a clean pair of heels allowing him to latch onto a Garry Ewing through ball but his shot from a tight angle, 5 yards from goal was beaten away to safety by Strong.

The elusive third goal did arrive for the hosts 15 minutes from time. Robbie Duncanson sprung the visitors offside trap but completely fresh aired his shot. But luckily for him it hit his standing leg and the air shot made Strong dive to his right leaving the young Nairn striker with the simplest of tasks of stroking the ball into the unguarded net.

Nairn did create one more chance before full time and it came through Willie Barron. His blistering pace left the Rothes defence for dead but Strong did well to save his effort.

This is a pleasing result for Ronnie Sharp and the Nairn supporters as these past few games were matches that had to be won against the so-called poorer sides of the league but next weeks away match at Inverurie will be the real test for the side to see if they are back on track.

Squad Statistics (as at October 25th, 2003)

2003-04 All Time
Michael Rae (GK) - 9 - 37 -
Dave Macdonald - 71471
Steven Edwards22 7 - 301
Gareth Smith24 7 - 41 -
Mo MacMillan - 8 - 27 -
Colin MacLeod29 12 - 42 -
Garry Ewing - 9 - 522
Willie Barron22 724216
Scott Kellacher22 634426
Iain Brooks25 1265623
Johnny Seaton - 10 - 22 -
Brian Macleod (sub)22 121142
Gary Farquhar (sub) - 935526
Robbie Duncanson (sub)19 83103

League Table (as at October 25th, 2003)

No league table has been added for this season.