Fraserburgh 3
Nairn County 0
League (HFL)


3 - 0

Nairn County

League (HFL)
Saturday, February 21st, 2004
Bellslea Park
3:00 PM Kick-off

Russell McBride (3)
Trevor Fleming (16)
Derek Milne (29)

Team Managers
Unknown. Martin Bell

Starting Eleven
Billy Gordon
Derek Milne
James Geddes
Scott Clark
Kevin Bisset
Trevor Fleming
Kevin Norris
Russell McBride
Gavin Wemyss
Steven Main
Michael Stephen
Michael Rae
Gareth Smith
Glenn Main
Neal Sinclair
Brian Macleod
Willie Barron
Paul McDonald
Garry Ewing
Scott Kellacher
Iain Brooks
Robbie Duncanson

Michael Thomson
Neil McLaren
Mark Cowie
Neil Main
Ryan Christie
Michael A Rae
Steven Edwards
Mo MacMillan
Steve Sanderson
Gary Farquhar

Mark Cowie for Steven Main (70)
Neil Main for Gavin Wemyss (85)
Ryan Christie for James Geddes (88)
Gary Farquhar for Iain Brooks (46)
Steve Sanderson for Robbie Duncanson (58)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Match Report

Nairn County Youth Coach Martin Bell took charge of the side for the first time today and he couldn't have had a bigger challenge ahead of him than 90 minutes against a side top of the table and one of the form side's in the League at the moment.

Fraserburgh are currently unbeaten since the first week of November and have only dropped points on one occasion since then and that run didn't seem in any danger of coming to an end today.

Bell made two changes to the side by dropping Gary Farquhar and Mo MacMillan to the substitute bench in favour of the returning Paul McDonald and young striker Robbie Duncanson. He also made goalkeeper Michael Rae captain in Dave Macdonald's absence.

the hosts took the lead after only three minutes and never looked back. A corner from the right swung in by ex-Highland League Player of the Year Michael Stephen was met by defender Russel McBride and the unmarked defender powerfully headed the ball past Michael Rae for his second goal in as many games.

Three minutes later though and Nairn should have been level with what turned out to be their best chance of the match. Striker Robbie Duncanson was sent through one-on-one with Fraserburgh goalkeeper Billy Gordon but the veteran shotstopper used all his experience and made himself big to deny Duncanson with an outstretched leg. The ball then broke to County's Ian Brooks on the each of the box but the shot drilled goalwards by him was cleared from the line by Broch defender James Geddes.

16 minutes into the match and the home side doubled their advantage through holding midfielder for the day Trevor Fleming. In almost identical circumstances to their first goal, Michael Stephen fired pacy corner in from the right and Fleming, who usually plays in defence, rose above the Nairn defence to re-direct the ball into Rae's bottom right hand corner.

Gavin Wemyss then flashed a low shot from 18 yards out across Michael Rae and only just past the Nairn shotstopper's right hand post after 25 minutes.

But four minutes later and the travelling support couldn't believe their eyes as the hosts added a third goal which was a carbon copy of the first two. Stephen again was the supplier but this time it was Derek Milne with the free header and he made no mistake in diverting Stephen's powerful delivery into the net to all but seal the points.
Rae then had to be alert a minute after the half-hour mark to tip a thunderous Fleming header over the bar to deny the ex-Highland League Young Player of the Year his second goal of the day.

From the resulting corner, Gavin Wemyss hoped to match the quality of cross that Stephen had used to such deadly effect and it nearly came off for the hosts. The powerful ball in, this time from the right, was met by Kevin Bisset at the back post but his header came crashing off the bar to the relief of the visitors.

A combination of Fraserburgh taking their foot of the gas and County digging in a little more and preventing the hosts from playing led to a somewhat lacklustre second half.
The first chance came early on but Steven Main's low shot across goal from the angle of the box crept wide of the post.

With 73 minutes on the clock the League leaders had a chance to add a fourth when Michael Stephen, the man who setup all three of his side's goals, was through one-on-one with Michael Rae but the County shotstopper did well to stand up and block the shot with his leg.

Five minutes later and Trevor Fleming should have done better when well placed at the back post but he could only direct his header past the post as a second goal of the day alluded him.

With four minutes remaining the hosts were still looking to pile on the pressure. James Geddes unleashed a driving shot from the edge of the area only to see it well blocked by Michael Rae and Paul McDonald did well to clear Geddes' follow-up effort from the goal-line.

A disappointing result for Nairn today but they can take credit for the effort and spirit they showed in the second forty-five. The bumpy and heavily sanded pitch in no way suited County's passing style of play and this showed as all of Fraserburgh's goals and good chances came through powerful headers from driven in crosses. "Rome wasn't built in a day" and the supporters must bear this in mind and be patient with the side.

Squad Statistics (as at February 21st, 2004)

2003-04 All Time
Michael Rae (GK) - 19 - 47 -
Glenn Main18 6 - 7 -
Gareth Smith25 16 - 50 -
Neal Sinclair - 211593
Garry Ewing - 18 - 612
Willie Barron23 1745218
Paul McDonald - 13 - 13 -
Brian Macleod22 202223
Robbie Duncanson19 143163
Scott Kellacher23 1665429
Iain Brooks25 1866223
Gary Farquhar (sub) - 1746327
Steve Sanderson (sub)22 1414220

League Table (as at February 21st, 2004)

No league table has been added for this season.