Nairn County 1
Cove Rangers 2
League (HFL)

Nairn County
1 - 2
Cove Rangers 

League (HFL)
Wednesday, March 16th, 2016
Station Park
8:00 PM Kick-off

Conor Gethins (65)
Jamie Watt (45)
Daryl Nicol (47)

Team Managers
Les Fridge

Starting Eleven
Calum Antell
Seán Webb
Glenn Main
Andrew Skinner
Callum Maclean
Kenny McKenzie
Alan Pollock
John Cameron
Robbie Duncanson
Conor Gethins
Sam Urquhart
Stuart McKenzie
Alan Redford
Stuart Walker
Blair Yule
Eric Watson
Darryn Kelly
Sam Burnett
Grant Campbell
Daryl Nicol
Jamie Watt
Connor Scully

Dylan Maclean
Paul Macleod
Michael Morrison
Gregg Main
Ross Naismith
Jack Maclean
Jordan MacRae
John McCafferty
Dean Donaldson
Stuart Duff
Johnny Smith
Roy McBain

Gregg Main for John Cameron (60)
Ross Naismith for Robbie Duncanson (76)
Johnny Smith for Stuart Walker (42)
Stuart Duff for Sam Burnett (72)
Dean Donaldson for Jamie Watt (76)

Gregg Main (72)
Eric Watson (70)

Red Cards
Gregg Main (81)
Match Officials

Calum Spence (Referee)

Match Report

TITLE-challenging Cove Rangers squeezed out 10-man Nairn County at Station Park as a Daryl Nicol goal a minutes into the second half proved to be decisive for the visitors.

County started well and only a timely-intervention by Eric Watson saw him nick the ball off Conor Gethins’ toe after he had played in by a great Robbie Duncanson pass on two minutes.

Six minutes later, a mis-placed pass by Blair Yule off a short throw-in at the halfway line on the right went straight to Gethins but his early effort from 40 yards out with the goalkeeper off his line dropped past the post.

A great Gethins pass sent Urquhart scampering in behind the Cove defence down the right. He could not work the opening to fire in a shot though, so passed to Callum Maclean at the edge of the box who teed up Duncanson but his drive was beaten behind by Cove goalkeeper Stuart McKenzie. The corner which followed dropped to Alan Pollock, who stung the palms of McKenzie before the visitors cleared.

Then, on 17 minutes, Gethins forced an impressive save by McKenzie as he kept out the Irish striker’s low effort with his legs.

County continued to press and Andrew Skinner’s 30-yard effort was tipped over the top by McKenzie on 20 minutes.

Cove threatened on 21 minutes with Connor Scully’s neat through pass from the right touchline sent Daryl Nicol in but Calum Antell read the situation to advance and narrow the angle before making the save.

That prompted the visitors to come into it and Stuart Walker’s rasping drive from 20 yards out was clawed away by the diving Antell as the Welsh stopper dived to his right.

Nicol then stepped away from Glenn Main on 31 minutes and saw his low shot from the edge of the box tipped behind by Antell. From the resulting corner, Watson sent a header over the crossbar.

The visitors assumed control of the game with goals either side of half time. The first came in the fourth minute of first half stoppage time with Sam Burnett’s slipped pass putting Jamie Watt in on goal and the striker only needed one touch to knock the ball past the advancing Antell.

Then, a minute into the second half, Cove added a second goal. County took centre but played a poor pass out to the right led to Nairn conceding a free kick through an aerial challenge. The delivery into the box was not dealt with by the hosts’ defence with Daryl Nicol latching on to the bouncing ball to smash beyond Antell.

County came close to pulling one back on 62 minutes. Urquhart showed great pace and skill to advance down the right and take on Stirling Smith before cutting the ball back to Duncanson but the Nairn skipper’s first time, clipped effort grazed the crossbar on the way over.

Nairn found the goal they craved three minutes later. A Pollock cross from the right appeared to hit Cove defender Eric Watson on the arm at the near post but as the majority inside Station Park shouted for a penalty, Conor Gethins did not stand on ceremony as he swept the loose ball home from six yards.

Sam Urquhart was denied a goal of the season contender by a magnificent McKenzie save on 70 minutes. The attacker trapped a high ball he had no right to control on the right touchline, before beating a man and appearing to overrun it but winning a 50/50 challenge. He then progressed to the edge of the box where he unleashed a stinging drive which was bound for the top corner until McKenzie kept it out with a superb save.

Cove went up the other end and had a golden chance to seal it after Nicol was hauled down just inside the box by Webb. But the striker rattled Antell’s right-hand post with the penalty kick to keep Nairn in it.

The visitors then received a stroke of luck 15 minutes from time when Gregg Main’s curling drive from the right edge of the box deflected to wrong foot the diving McKenzie but the ball struck the diving stopper.

Another Urquhart delivery after another great piece of skill on the right ran all of the way through to Pollock on the far side on 79 minutes but he could only blast over.

Match report written by Graeme Macleod

Squad Statistics (as at March 16th, 2016)

2015-16 All Time
Calum Antell (GK)23 33 - 62 -
Seán Webb33 25315012
Callum Maclean24 232232
Andrew Skinner21 291291
Glenn Main30 30 - 30112
Kenny McKenzie23 211211
Alan Pollock26 3398314
Robbie Duncanson31 351127187
Sam Urquhart24 33137132
Conor Gethins32 3531183173
John Cameron26 23213832
Ross Naismith (sub)23 191819
Gregg Main (sub)29 28 - 27321

League Table (as at March 16th, 2016)

No league table has been added for this season.