Nairn County 2
Turriff United 0
Highland League Cup (Semi Final)

Nairn County
2 - 0
Turriff United 

Highland League Cup (Semi Final)
Saturday, March 12th, 2016
Station Park
3:00 PM Kick-off

Conor Gethins (46)
Sam Urquhart (72)

Team Managers
Les Fridge
Ross Jack

Starting Eleven
Calum Antell
Andrew Skinner
Callum Maclean
Seán Webb
Glenn Main
Kenny McKenzie
Alan Pollock
John Cameron
Robbie Duncanson
Conor Gethins
Sam Urquhart
Kevin Main
Lewis Davidson
Chris Herd
Andrew Smith
Cameron Bowden
Allen McKenzie
Aaron McKenna
Paul Young
Jamie Beagrie
Craig MacAskill
Robert Allan

Dylan Maclean
Craig Munro
Bradley Halsman
Jack Maclean
Ross Naismith
Jordan MacRae
Lyndain O'Brien
Kenneth Mair
Nick Gray
Liam Strachan
Ryan Bruce
Nikolas Wozniak

Ross Naismith for Conor Gethins (87)
Nikolas Wozniak for Craig MacAskill (61)
Nick Gray for Smith (61)
Kenneth Mair for Robert Allan (74)

Conor Gethins (41)
Jamie Beagrie (80)
Nick Gray (86)
Kenneth Mair (90)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Ben Dempster (Referee)

Match Report

NAIRN County are through to the final of the Highland League (Morganti) Cup with an impressive display against Turriff United at Station Park.

The hosts were far from at full strength through injuries, suspensions and players being unavailable because of other commitments but those who came in stood up and were counted to earn a fully-deserved success, giving them the club a second cup final appearance of a fully satisfying season.

Conor Gethins tried to replicate his outstanding free kick at Clach on Wednesday night four minutes in but this time his 20-yard effort curled past the near post.

It was an even start to the game but it was Nairn who threatened again on 14 minutes. Alan Pollock teed up Robbie Duncanson and his curling effort from the left edge of the box was clutched by Kevin Main as the ‘keeper dived low to his left.

County went even closer two minutes later when Sean Webb met a corner from the left with a towering header at the back post but his effort was headed clear by Lewis Davidson on the goal line.

Turriff worked a throw-in from the right to full back Lewis Davidson, who drove in along the 18-yard line only to see his low drive held by Antell on 31 minutes.

Gethins saw a free kick parried away by Main before Duncanson blasted well over the crossbar from 25 yards on 41 minutes.

That was the start of County finishing the half on top with Sam Urquhart then rampaging down the right and bamboozling the Turriff left back before seeing his raking low drive hacked clear from the line at the far post.

Then, a clipped Gethins free kick into the box from the left was flicked on by the head of Webb and only a great reaction save from Main kept it out of the net as the goalkeeper did well to get down to his left and clutch the ball.

County made the ideal start to the second half by taking the lead straight from kick off. Urquhart collected a long ball into the right channel and his cross was dropped by Main under pressure from Cameron for Conor Gethins to direct into the empty net with a volley from six yards.

Gethins fed Alan Pollock down the right with an intelligent flick and the midfielder pulled the ball back to the on-running Duncanson at the edge of the box but his sweeping drive from 15 yards was parried by Main with Cameron squeezed out of turning home the rebound.

A superb move almost saw Nairn double their lead on 53 minutes. Duncanson’s clipped ball into the box was headed down by Gethins – who had peeled off his man – to Pollock, who had made the third man run but the midfielder’s shot was excellently blocked by Main with the ball spinning inches past the post.

Then, on 56 minutes, another superb Gethins flick put Pollock haring in on goal but he went himself and blasted wide when he could have played the supporting Duncanson clean through on goal.

A stinging drive from Andrew Smith 25 yards out was held by Antell in Turriff’s first chance of the second half.

A minute later, a goal-saving tackle from Glenn Main prevented the visitors from levelling. Allen Mackenzie advanced in behind the County defence but wanted to take an extra touch, which allowed Main to slide in and make a perfectly-timed intervention, which would have resulted in a penalty and red card had it been a foul.

Andrew Skinner fired wide from distance on 66 minutes after a corner had been cleared to him as Nairn looked to add to their lead.

Sean Webb’s defensive header under pressure from Nick Gray dropped to Aaron McKenna on 67 minutes but his volley flashed over the bar.

County doubled their lead with a magnificent goal on 72 minutes. The tireless Sam Urquhart took a superb first touch to control a Pollock ball over the Turriff defence as he advanced in from the right and showed great composure to clip the ball over the advancing Main to put daylight between the sides.

Gethins was inches away from adding a third for Nairn on 78 minutes. The striker was found in space in the box by Duncanson’s pass but his shot on the spin rolled inches past the post with Main rooted to the spot.

Pollock then struck the woodwork as he clipped a cross in from the left that skimmed the crossbar on its way behind on 83 minutes as County earned a magnificent victory.

Match report written by Graeme Macleod

Squad Statistics (as at March 12th, 2016)

2015-16 All Time
Calum Antell (GK)23 32 - 61 -
Andrew Skinner21 281281
Glenn Main30 29 - 30012
Seán Webb33 24314912
Callum Maclean24 222222
Kenny McKenzie23 201201
Alan Pollock26 3298214
Robbie Duncanson31 341127087
Sam Urquhart24 32137032
Conor Gethins32 3430182172
John Cameron26 22213732
Ross Naismith (sub)23 181809

League Table (as at March 12th, 2016)

No league table has been added for this season.